Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

... now they must watch their abundance of luxuries fall away, making room for the tools of survival, and witness this time of relative peace wither into the same fears that harper's ballads had warned them about for generations.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Setting plans into motion

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Eloaene

Eloaene

Setting plans into motion - Page 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Setting plans into motion   Setting plans into motion - Page 1 I_icon32Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:43 pm

Setting plans into motion - Page 1 Gackt19edit

Lord Matoi had his own informants and it seemed that Zahir's suggestions were not far from what he himself would have believed to be the truth of the matter. Nevertheless, there was the matter of the sword tassel, and that was a matter which could not be overlooked. The Lord of Telgar sat back in thought, his scowl deepening as eyebrows drew together in thought. The man's eyes had closed and his chin had tucked into his chest as if he might have fallen asleep were it not for the severe expression of contemplation come over his features.

"Mmmmmm." Dark eyes rising to meet Zahir's once more, Matoi addressed him, "We need to discover from your scouts which direction their tracks lead to. That will help us determine where to head them off and who is involved."

The Holder paused once more but just briefly, "It is known that Telgar's border lands to the Southeast have always been home to a few who do not share the same political understandings as most of Telgar's other holds. Geographically they are fairly far removed in relation to the rest of the holds in the territory. Such a thing is only natural. Rumour lately has it that their sentiments are becoming more extreme. This group should not be ruled out."

Just then, the door leading into the meeting room opened, whereas the younger sons of Lord Matoi entered. Following behind them was a small man whose form seemed to be shrunken with age. His back was bowed though he was doing well without a cane; the elderly man's face was gaunt and his eyes seemed hardly to open under the relative heaviness of their lids. He was dressed finely, but simply and had only a head of very thin white hair. He age must have been over 90.

All three of the men came into the room and sat on floor cushions behind Rihan. Having been shown the decorative tassel, neither of Rihan's brothers seemed to know where it could have come from. Both of theirs were in tact. The elderly man who'd come with them however, was examining it very closely, eyes squinted through concentration.

Leaning to one side on an armrest for repose, Lord Matoi's tone suggested heightened interest in what the old man would have to say. "Hideaki. Is there anything to be discovered by your inspection of the tassel?"

Hideaki indeed, was as aged as he did now appear. Nearly 100 in age, he had been in charge of all things concerning Telgar's greatest antiquities since his father passed away -his father having also been charged with the same task. The man was one of only two people in Telgar who knew enough about Telgar's Holding Family to maintain and even recreate certain symbols of Telgar's power such as the decorative sword knots. The old man had been so steeped in Telgar's stories and history his entire life, he probably knew more about Telgar than the Lord of Telgar himself.

At length, the Master of Antiquities completed his investigation of the thing and finally lay it back on the floor before all of them so that they could see. It was with a raspy voice that he answered, "My Lord, this is but a replica and it is new. Whoever was trying to duplicate it, it seems had some difficulty. There are a couple of errors which are evident to my eyes, yet...none could have gotten even this far in a replication without having an original to work off of. The knot-work in these tassels are very intricate and multi-layered as you know. In part, for that reason.

"Nevertheless...it makes me wonder. A member of the House of Telgar would never lose such a thing on accident, so it must have purposeful. This tassel was not produced here and so I can only assume that there is another original that we do not know about, wandering Telgar somewhere."

The old man's words struck a chord with both Rihan and Matoi, as both men's tried to absorb the implications of what Hideaki was suggesting, as all eyes in the room seemed to widen. For a moment, the advisers present and the Steward all rose their voices in a chatter, breaking into a bit of a debate across the room amiungst themselves.

Resting his forehead in his hand for a moment, Lord Matoi sighed, "Mmmmmmm. How disruptive."

And when the debate of his advisers only continued to grow louder and more frantic, the Lord of Telgar let his voice boom above them all. "I will have silence!" And it was as he said; for the room grew very still and quiet. Only one dared to even clear his throat, though there were no words to follow.

After a few moments of silence, Matoi spoke up again, "Hideaki. In your long memory, can you think of anyone at any time who may have had access to such a thing that it would now be out of our hands?"

Again, the old master of antiquities was taken by thought, and when he spoke, it was with caution considering the matter, "I'm sorry, My Lord, I'm not sure I have any answer to that question." Even then, it seemed as though Hideaki were thinking as hard as he could, trying to come up with some reasonable explanation. Muttering to himself, the old man just shook his head and peered back down at the tassel before them.

Rihan had been listening to everything anyone had to say intently. At minutes drew on into half hours of continuing their discussion, the Heir Apparent only grew more agitated. Nothing was being decided and Eolyn and Courisse were still in harms way. So, when no one else knew quite what else to say, Rihan interjected, "Father. There is only one lead we have, and that is toward the southern borders where Igen and Telgar meet. However,...if we are assuming that our suspects are indeed from Telgar and will try crossing back into Telgar territory then turning south to go back west would be much more perilous for them. There are more holds to the south of Igen Hold and more desert terrain that would make travel difficult. But...were they to head north, there is little travel on the roads because the river provides faster transportation. There is also a Pass into Telgar much closer to Igen Hold heading north than traveling in the other direciton; which allows them to escape the eyes and ears of Igen's Guard more quickly to a place they have no right of entry.

"I'm suggesting that they are headed directly for Igen Weyr. Passing through the abandoned weyr would also be relatively unexpected because roads on both sides heading to the weyr have not been maintained there for decades."

The Heir Apparent then paused to organize another thought before presenting it, "I'd say, if we start anywhere, we start there and work our way out in a sweep of the area. That way, no matter who's involved, we're bound to find them.

"Heir Apparent Zahir. Since it is also your sister involved, would you approve of beginning our search there? Personally, I would rather start any search than sit doing nothing at all." Rihan finished his words tightening his jaw and clenching his fists in his lap.
Back to top Go down
https://rainoffire.rpg-board.net
Caoimhe

Caoimhe

PostSubject: Re: Setting plans into motion   Setting plans into motion - Page 1 I_icon32Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:26 pm

“The Igen Guard is trying to track them down however, other than the tassel which I assume was placed on purpose, there were not any tracks or signs of disturbance. They were quite professional about it. They knew not to leave any sign of passage. They wanted us to believe it was a professional force like that of Telgar’s Guard who kidnapped the young women.” He thought more on the subject but there really was no more that could be done from his end. They were scouring the forest, heading North. The problem was these kidnappers were candlemarks ahead of them. They needed the destination so that they might find a way to get there more quickly.

The Lord had called for an expert to examine the tassel and thankfully put his own fears to rest in some ways. Of course no one in the room knew how there could be a tassel wandering about Telgar Hold that was not possessed by someone of Telgar’s house. It made no sense to him but he was not privy to secrets of Telgar Hold. Chatter grew louder and louder until the Lord Holder silenced them all. Zahir was almost afraid to breathe in that moment but soon they were back to discussing what this all meant.

However as the conversations and accusations became more and more farfetched he found he was itching to be gone from there. A swift conclusion was not to be had. The more questions asked the less any of them knew. It was to the point where no one knew where to begin anymore. He was growing frustrated as his thoughts lingered on Courisse and Eolyn. All of this talk was getting them nowhere. Zahir did not have the patience his father had and it was beginning to show as he moved about the room like a caged feline.

When the advisers finally shut up and Rihan spoke relief flooded him. Thank Faranth someone in the room was tired of waiting besides himself. “I agree. The sooner we take action the better.” He had no patience to begin with and what little he seemed to muster during this event was waning quickly. Perhaps it was because he was so young. Although he rather doubted that, some people were just less patient than others. He was ready to go. “I’ll send word to Igen via the dragonrider, telling my Guard to head towards the same area, that way we can approach from two different angles, making it harder for the kidnappers to escape.”
Back to top Go down
Eloaene

Eloaene

PostSubject: Re: Setting plans into motion   Setting plans into motion - Page 1 I_icon32Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:10 pm

Setting plans into motion - Page 1 Gackt19edit

A curt nod was given up at Zahir as he decidedly shared Rihan's wishes to take action. Glancing back to Lord Matoi, it was his father who filled the silence immediately following Zahir's words, "I will mobilize the Guard at Southern Telgar Hold then to make their way toward the Weyr."

Lord Matoi was motioning the Steward to prepare to send word out to Southern Telgar when Rihan stopped him. "Father! Allow me to lead the rescue. I will take those loyal to me to conduct the search."

One of the viceroys immediately interjected, "Lord Matoi, your son does not command a force capable of..."

"For how long?!" It was Rihan's turn to interrupt with fervent words. The Heir of Telgar was on his hands and knees now, his head bowed before Lord Matoi subserviently. "For how long must I hide behind you father, while you protect myself and those that I hold dear? If I cannot protect my own fiance now, then I have no right becoming the Lord of anything. No right to marry in the future. No right to hold any power, because my power would be without cause and thereby useless."

"But Young Master, this matter is crucial to the continued peace between Telgar and Igen that cannot be treated ligh..." An adviser began insisting.

This time the man was interrupted by Lord Matoi himself. "Respect his wishes. This is the first time my son has come to me with the desire to knock someone down." Adjusting himself where he sat so that he could take a drink of the steaming tea before him, Matoi regarded his son now with a challenging glare. "I think I'd like to see just how far he will take it...

"Rihan. I leave it to you then to find Eolyn and her maid and bring them back safely."

"You can trust in me." Rihan's eyes lifted from the floor first before he straightened himself from the bowed posture. Standing from the floor then, Rihan nodded to Zahir that they should leave to carry out their plans.

With his first step however, Rihan was given pause when Hideaki, the Master of Antiquities addressed him one last time, in an urgent whisper, "Young Master! There is something that I have remembered! Before you leave here, I must tell you!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Having heard the tale that Hideaki had recovered from his memory, the tale could very well be just that -just a story. But Rihan knew better than that. As a Holder's Heir, he understood well the stock that such stories held, which most people could afford to disregard, yet he could not. Hideaki had shocked them all in front of Zahir with a story of Telgar's Heir long ago being cast into exile by his own father. Having been erased from records, the name scarcely existed any longer and yet...such a name could be the missing link required to find out who'd been able to replicate the decorative crimson tassels so symbolic of the Telgar's House.

Retracing their steps back to the post the dragonrider had taken up in waiting, a thousand questions chased after Rihan. Though it might prove an answer, Hideaki's story only complicated things -on many levels.

Only a couple of minutes later though, the cold of Between seemed to help clear Rihan's head before they landed and he made his way directly toward the Guard Hall.

"Zahir. Please make whatever arrangements you deem necessary on your end. I have a plan for Telgar's Guard I will be setting into motion shortly. When you're ready, meet me inside the Guard Hall. We can finalize plans there before we take off."

In the mean time, Rihan would be gathering the small force loyal to him that would be serving as their search and rescue team. His pace hastened, making his way to the front of the training grounds located infront of the Guard Hall where several squads were lined up awaiting orders. Without hesitation, Rihan went straight to the two captains and their officers present. "Captains. Your men should be safeguarding the streets. Keep your patrols tight."

Recognizing then that Jungi was present, it was with gratefulness that Rihan smiled then, placing a hand on the man's shoulder to greet him. "I'm glad you are here. Let us go to the Guard Hall. Captains, you as well. I will fill you all in on what has happened."

Rihan and Jungi both headed into the Hall while Toshiro and Shannon directed their squads to double up on patrols within the streets of Telgar River Hold. Shortly after, they would be headed into the Hall where they could speak in private.

Back to top Go down
Caoimhe

Caoimhe

PostSubject: Re: Setting plans into motion   Setting plans into motion - Page 1 I_icon32Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:15 pm

Setting plans into motion - Page 1 Zahirheader_zpse92f2037

There was something about this advisor that rubbed Zahir the wrong way. None of his father's men would dare speak to him in such a way. Seeing a subservient rihan made him wonder how different their fathers were. Probably very different in raising children but not so different in running a Hold. Then Zahir always did know how to get out of performing a duty and had no brothers to watch out for. He breathed a sigh of relief when Rihan was permitted to lead the expedition. He followed Rihan as he left, only to be stopped by the old man who had examined the tassel.

The old man's tale was quite interesting. So Rihan had extended family that he had not known about. If someone might have reason to use such means to get attention that man's descendents were one group of them. This might have nothing to do with them but it did explain how a tassel could have been copied. Someone must have practiced though and who knew how to tie knots better than sea crafters? He wondered on it for a moment, as Rihan gathered his own thoughts and thanked the old man for the information.

Zahir kept up with Rihan pretty well. He was on the dragon just after the other Lord. When they arrived at Telgar River Hold, he said, "I'll meet up with you shortly."

Parting with him to head to Igen Hold only briefly. His father was waiting for him when he arrived. "Father, Telgar Hold itself is innocent but we fear there are some exiles or miscreants that have taken the women. Lord Rihan is leading his Guard to an area where we believe these men to be hiding out."

Lord Qisbon was listening but he was still rather distant. "I don't think your mother can handle this much longer Zahir. She is beside herself with worry. Make sure they aren't behind this at all. you are to accompany young Rihan correct?" Zahir nodded, "Yes Father. I must send a message to the patrol thats out searching for the young women."

Qisbon sent for the fastest messenger at their disposal. He knew the directionn the Guard needed to go in exactly as Zahir explained the path and the area that they were believed to be holding up the girls it made sense to attack from two sides. His father was not going to lead the Guard himself though. Instead he relied on the Guard to listen to their Captain.

"As you have everything under control here I must get back to Telgar River Hold." Zahir said, walking away from his father back to the dragonrider. Before leaving his father remarked, "I've never seen you so ready to do your duty Zahir." He didn't know what that was supposed to mean exactly but he wondered if his father suspected him of anything. No one knew about Courisse and himself at least he didn't think they did. He would have to be more careful in the future. It wasn't his reputation that was at stake. It was Courisse's.

When they arrived back at Telgar River Hold, Zahir offered the man a place to sleep and food for himself and his dragon but the man just chuckled. "Weyrwoman Karene, has given me orders to return as soon as possible but I thank you for your hospitality. I will convey to the Weyrwoman your request for a few more dragons." As if that would be enough to reward the man for emergency service like this. Oh no, Telgar and Igen Holds owed Fort Weyr as far as the Weyrwoman was concerned.

He had a bad feeling about that interaction as he walked away and the dragon vaulted into the air. He made up for lost time by jogging to the Guard Room. There was not a moment to lose now that nightfall was upon them.

The Guards room was filling up quickly, he thought as he peered through the groups of men to find Rihan. When he found him, he nodded. "I'm coming with you, so I hope you have a few spare runners." It was his decision, partly to protect Rihan if things did not go well. He knew Eolyn would want her fiance to be free of any accusations concerning her kidnap or worse. This would be the only way to truly prove that he had nothing to do with all of it. The Igen Lordling was not about to let Telgar have all of the fun either.

((Weyrwoman Karene sends: 4 Browns, 2 larger blues to help the men to Southern Telgar.))

Setting plans into motion - Page 1 Eolynheader3_zps980c18e6
The room was dark. Was she even in a room? She was unsure at the moment as the haze that had come over her lifted slowly. She shivered a little as what she thought must be a room became a little more clear. Her skin raised in goosebumps not out of fear necessarily but out of being so cold. Her teeth began to chatter a little and though she tried to clench her jaw to keep them from doing so the action was uncontrollable.

A growl from her stomach told her she had missed more than one meal but her thoughts consistently went back to Courisse. Was she there, or did they kill her? Or worse? Eolyn felt her eyes begin to water and went to wipe her eyes with her left arm t find it chained to the wall she was leaning against. The chain was slack so she could move around but it was heavy. There would be no escape even if she knew where she was. Eolyn wondered just what sort of men would deceive a lady like that?

Oh they better hope her father didn't find them. Or worse, Rihan. Her heart fluttered at the thought. He would find her. When he did find her the men here were going to be very sorry. Or maybe they wouldn't have time to be. In the meantime she needed to find out as much as possible about these men. Right? She should try to remember things for the future. Her thoughts returned to her cousin.

"Rissi." Her childhood nickname for Courisse, came out before she could stop herself. Courisse had told her she did not like her nickname all that much. "Courisse, Are you there?" Her voice was dry, raspy and quiet. She moved slowly to sit up. That was better. The ground was so cold it was warmer to sit. Her eyes looked around a little more but she found she could make out very little in the dark. Please let her best friend be there, alive and unharmed.
Back to top Go down
Eloaene

Eloaene

PostSubject: Re: Setting plans into motion   Setting plans into motion - Page 1 I_icon32Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:19 pm

Setting plans into motion - Page 1 LeeJoonGi7EditSetting plans into motion - Page 1 Anothergackt_zps25e4361a

Setting plans into motion - Page 1 Toshiro3-1

Only a handful of Guardsmen had been gathered into the Guard Hall and behind them, doors were closed. Squads had been given direction as to what they were to do while Rihan and their Captains were absent. Other, lower ranking officers could handle security detail over the next few days, without difficulty.

Rihan sat himself at the head of the relatively empty training Hall on the floor, a place next to him reserved for Zahir when he arrived. The Guardsmen who'd been selected were five in number, plus himself and the other Heir Apparent made seven. Filling them all in on what few details they had concerning the kidnapping, each one of the men was sworn to secrecy regarding their mission. The Heir Apparent laid out for them their tentative plan of action and forewarned them that they would likely have to remain flexible.

Zahir was entering the room as the first questions started cropping up about certain details of the mission. To wrap up, Rihan recapitulated his instructions for the search and rescue, making sure also that Zahir didn't have any additional input.

Seeing the excitement in each man's eyes and the gravity they all portrayed through their understanding of just how dire a situation they were all in, it seemed as though they still assumed they would be returning home in a number of days. But in all truth, they had no idea what kind of enemy they would be facing. Rihan realized that, even through all their various suppositions and deductions...Whatever enemy they were about to face most likely held that advantage over them, especially if it were someone from his own family -even if it were an Exile. With that in mind, Rihan wanted them all to pay one final visit to their families,... in case the worst should happen.

Rihan dismissed them all then to prepare for their departure, but before Toshiro could get away, he caught the man saying, "Shiro. I have a few words to share with you in private, if you'd stay." Requesting that Zahir also leave them, the young Lord of Telgar assured him he'd be along shortly, whereas they could begin their own preparations.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When everyone else had left them, the door being closed behind the last man, Rihan's posture was somewhat bent toward the floor. The Captain couldn't see the young Lord's face but felt a certain heaviness..a certain unsettling & quiet concentration come over the man. And as Rihan lifted his head to find Toshiro there, it was with only the most dreadful charcoal oculii, coloured darkly by a dispassionate glaze that revealed the depth of his young Lord's displeasure. Though by all outward appearances, Rihan was ever serene. But if that appearance could be likened to the still waters of a pond, then let it be said that the only ripple disturbing its peace would be the satanic reflection within that baleful glare.

Now this was different. Toshiro had never witnessed such a menacing presence in the form of his friend. He knew that Rihan was obviously very passionate about events that had ensued, but...this? Different indeed. Never had he expected Rihan would be able to compose himself as such -robed now by such an intimidating presence. No, not just intimidating; Rihan could always be that. This was indeed different.

The only thing Toshiro could think of to describe it was, 'Rihan has changed'? Or admitted to himself that his position requires more than idealistic perspectives and good business sense. And after that, the only thing Toshiro could think was 'Yeow, I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot stick!' He nearly laughed aloud, but Rihan broke him from that reverie before he was able to.

With a quiet voice Rihan started, but it was not without the fervid insistence of a command, "Toshiro. I need you...I need you to become my sword. You must become the Sword of my Guard. Others fear you. They are awed by your skill and I know even more perfectly what you are capable of. So, I want you to show no mercy when you cut down my enemies!"

Those words seemed to catch Toshiro a bit off guard and had the two men staring evenly into eachothers' eyes for a number of seconds, communicating through the silence. In reality, the Captain was gauging the full truth of what Rihan was implying by issuing such a directive.

Then, as if everything Rihan had said up to that point was nothing more than a joke, Toshiro laughed.

Though the response came as a bit unexpected, Rihan's mind was too focused now for it to show.

"Ohh, forgive me! Ahahaha." One hand coming to conceal that left side of his face which was scarred beneath long bangs, Toshiro held it there for a moment trying to compose himself.

More seriously now, through still slightly narrowed gaze, he returned the look to Rihan, "Thank you! If I ever had doubts about how good a friend you are, then this settles it. You are much too kind!"

Shaking his head as if in disbelief, that laughing smile was still drawn across the Captain's expression. "Is that all you had to say to me?"

Not sharing in the laughter, it was only because he knew Toshiro very well that he understood how seriously the man had taken his request -and that perhaps, was the source of his amusement. Because in Toshiro's mind, Rihan had done him the ultimate kindness, and effectively just cut the dog's leash. It was only now, that he was giving the Captain full authority to cut anyone down,... without question,... if they dared to try and obstruct his path. Knowing Toshiro's irascible nature, allowing such a thing was quite the favour indeed.

"No. That is all." Rihan was standing from where he sat even before he could finish speaking. The Captain followed suit.

"Well, well. I guess I should go prepare with the rest of them." Extending his arms in a stretch, Toshiro couldn't help but grin; somehow he was still trying not to laugh.

When he reached the door of the Guard Hall first, opening it for both he and Rihan, Jungi was leaned against the wall on the porch outside that led to stairs going down to the open air training grounds. The Trader had one foot planted behind him against the wall and his arms folded over his chest waiting patiently. It was Jungi who began, "Don't worry, all I heard was laughter. Don't tell me Rihan can bear to tell jokes at a time like this?"

The remark renewed Toshiro's smile. "Oh, it was no joke, believe me." And with no more to say, the Captain continued walking, needing to return to his own barracks to collect a few things for the journey.

That left Jungi straightening himself away from the wall to regard Rihan a bit curiously. After watching the Captain walk away then, he turned again to Rihan, "Is he ever that happy?"

"I just made his day." But there were hardly any chuckles over that. Unbeknownst to him, Rihan only had the slightest clue as to what terrible thing he had just unleashed, and at this point, he didn't really have a care. As the Heir Apparent started down the stairs toward the main hold to have his things prepared, he made sure Zahir would be in tow.

Admittedly he stated, "My blood runs hot tonight. We shall begin our hunt soon."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Setting plans into motion - Page 1 The_gazette_rukiedit

Having prepared himself all but completely mentally, Toshiro wrestled with what most of the other men on the mission team were doing right now -sharing a few hugs and kisses goodbye with those they loved. But Toshiro had no one he thought he felt such a way for and so he paced for a moment restlessly in his barracks, wondering just what he should do while awaiting the time of their departure. Finally, the Captain decided to make a trip to the hold infirmary. More likely, his body took control of leading him there instead of his own conscious mind.

Truth be told, when he arrived there, he hadn't even realized where he was at first, his mind had become so distracted. He felt like he was in a bit of a fog. Yet some part of him wanted to look into Ariadne's eyes before he left. So, there he was, just outside the door of the infirmary, tucked covertly into a shadow where he could peer across the room and try to locate her.

Ah... just there...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When they'd all prepared for the journey, each man was to carry only the clothes on his back, maybe one change, and a small survival pack for dry rations and the like, outside the weapons required. They would have to travel light and be able to remain mobile and unhindered in their travel.

Each man chosen to join the mission met where dragons had landed and all at once, they were taken on dragon back to be delivered to Southern Telgar Hold.
Back to top Go down
Caoimhe

Caoimhe

PostSubject: Re: Setting plans into motion   Setting plans into motion - Page 1 I_icon32Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:01 pm

Setting plans into motion - Page 1 Zahirheader_zpse92f2037

Zahir listened to Rihan’s words to the men gathered. When he asked to be alone, Zahir walked off on his own. He watched the other men as they began to set about saying goodbye to their families. Even when Rihan came back from his discussion with Captain Toshiro, he watched the others milling about. He walked over to Rihan when he looked like he was getting ready to move from the Guard Hall. Zahir was as ready as Rihan was although perhaps not quite as ready to kill people. He would certainly be tested on the field of battle.

Setting plans into motion - Page 1 Ariadneheader2_zps35919316-1_zpscae8fea8

Ariadne had been busier than she thought. She didn’t understand what all the fuss was about but the Master Healer requested her to be available for the infirmary if needed. She had her suspicions that something very big was going on already only to have that proven by the request. The other women were chatting around her. So many theories and with the number of gossips in the room she wasn’t surprised. Her own thought was it had something to do with Igen as she thought she had seen someone with the Igen colors. What did she know really though, being a drudge?

After folding the last few sheets for the infirmary cots, she asked if there was anything else that needed to be done before she left. The Healers gave her leave to go. She took a few minutes to say goodnight to some of the other girls, a couple of them giving her hugs. Ariadne was a warm person and after her little ordeal the other women just wanted to comfort her. Walking home would be a little more nerve-racking tonight. Her hands reached into the cabinet near the door for her shawl which she draped over her shoulders.

Opening the door she nearly jumped. She wasn’t expecting anyone to be there. Ari wasn’t sure what brought him to the infirmary but she felt a bit selfish to think he came to see her. Her face lit up with a smile, “Toshiro, what brings you down here?” Maybe he just wanted to see the Master Healer about something. There was something going on, whether they knew what it was or not. Her voice took on a more concerned tone, “Is everything alright?”
Back to top Go down
Eloaene

Eloaene

PostSubject: Re: Setting plans into motion   Setting plans into motion - Page 1 I_icon32Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:22 pm

Setting plans into motion - Page 1 The_gazette_rukiedit

Seeing how Ari jumped at his sudden appearance -though it wasn't sudden at all- the Captain could almost feel a little guilty for giving her such a startle. Since having arrived at the infirmary, he'd almost forgotten about the thing Rihan had spoken to him earlier which made him giddy with excitement; those things were pushed -almost- to the furthest reaches of his mind now that he was here, watching her.

Arms having been folded across his chest where he leaned against the wall in that deep shadow, he now stood to his full height, gladly meeting her eyes. "Hmmmm?" Came his only response for the longest moment while arms returned to his sides. It seemed as though he might just have been ignoring her in that time, but somehow even that was difficult to believe granted how piercing his eyes were as they delved into her own, as if he were searching for something personal and secretive there. Perhaps too intense was that stare.

A couple of breaths gone by and the man finally answered, being absolutely terrible in his lies, "I was just checking on a few things before taking off. I'll be gone,..."
Though the words ended there on a bit of an up-note, after a quick breath, sounded as if he were going to say something more. But that thought died on his tongue.

Her voice took on a more concerned tone, “Is everything alright?”

"Maybe it's too early to tell," There, he was already berating himself for having said something that might worry her needlessly, "but the danger isn't here. So, you have no need to worry."

Trying to let a smile creep over his face, he didn't feel very convincing, "In any case, the patrols and all have been doubled until we return. It shouldn't be long...You should really stay close to home or near the Hold though, just in case." In case he wasn't there to protect her was the completion of another unfinished thought.

Finished speaking, Toshiro was taking a measured breath, looking away from her and back toward the courtyard where dragons were to be waiting. Finally, Toshiro glanced down to where his left hand fingered somewhat nervously over the cords that wraped the hilt of the two blades at his hip. There was something strikingly different about these weapons than the ones he usually carried however. These were twin short swords, not a long sword, and there was no arresting rope to be seen on his person -which meant that wherever they were going, he had no intent of letting anyone make it out alive.

It was no wonder his hand worked a bit nervously then, even as he hardly realized it. When he did realize it though, he seemed to feel the need to explain to Ariadne. So, even before she could say anything else, he interjected, "Someones life is in danger and we don't know how much time we have to stop events from going badly. So, Lord Rihan picked me to help him. I am the villain he has called upon, when others lack the resolve to dirty themselves."

A faint smile curled up from the corners of his lips then as he gazed more intently upon her once more, "But don't tell anyone any of that. Heh. Or I might have to kill you, too." Always making jokes that never sounded like jokes. How terrible! But the slightly nervous, if not forced bit of laughter that followed proved how serious he was -not very. At least hoping he never had to be serious on that account.

Back to top Go down
Caoimhe

Caoimhe

PostSubject: Re: Setting plans into motion   Setting plans into motion - Page 1 I_icon32Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:21 pm

If his stare was a bit intense she had not noticed. Something about the stare did set her mind to wondering although it had nothing to do with the length or intensity but rather her own feelings when he was looking at her. They were friends and she did care about all her friends. He seemed a bit unsure of himself right now though she had never known Toshiro to be uncertain about anything. Maybe it wasn't uncertainty but rather nervous energy. There was obviously something serious happening which required his involvement.

"Oh." She replied to his statement concerning his going. Ariadne was hoping that he might say something after it to indicate why or for how long. He probably wouldn't know exactly how long. Or maybe he was concerned that he would not come back. The thought made her close her eyes for a moment. She could not think in that way right now. It would only cause her to worry. "I'll be careful. I promise." Maybe that would set his mind at ease.

She tried not to think about the reason for the duel swords as he continued. He was going with Rihan to do his dirty work because he was the only one with the stomach for it. Ariadne was not as slow as she might seem, she understood what that meant. And just like anyone else at the hold, she knew what Toshiro was known for.

"My lips are sealed. No one else will know." She said quietly, her mind absorbed in her own thoughts. There were so many emotions that pulled and pushed at her that she felt like she was completely lost for a couple of minutes, standing in a silence that was not completely awkward but nor was it perfect in its quiet.

"Do me a favor, please. Don't take unnecessary risks." Ariadne said trying not to think of the worst case scenario but knowing it existed. She didn't understand why she was feeling so scared for him more so than she thought she would feel. "And one more thing..." She trailed off, closing the gap between them physically and wrapped her arms around him in a hug. "For luck." She explained although there probably was no need to.

Back to top Go down
Eloaene

Eloaene

PostSubject: Re: Setting plans into motion   Setting plans into motion - Page 1 I_icon32Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:39 pm

After saying those things and watching Ari grow somber, Toshiro partially regretted speaking to her at all. The girl had already lost a husband and now that the two of them were starting to become friends, he was burdening her with the possibility of another final farewell. Now he felt like a real jerk. He should have just gone without saying anything? But that didn't feel right either.

The Captain was quiet as she responded. It wasn't until she shown meaningful concern to him that his expression altered. Toshiro came across looking rather dumbfounded.

"Do me a favor, please. Don't take unnecessary risks." "And one more thing..."

When her arms embraced him, Toshiro caught his breath and held it. Surprise was in his eyes as his body stiffened, not sure what to do. Even while she hugged her arms about him at length, he did not respond.

It was only when he finally took another breath, his heart beginning to pound in his chest, that he finally dared to set his arms around her, but only gingerly so that his hands held gently on her upper back. Such a tentative embrace it was, and so nervous.

Glancing down then at her, his right hand moved to settle on her head in an affectionate way where his fingers disapeared into her curls, holding her there against him -but still tentatively. At the moment it was all he felt he could do to offer her any comfort because there was no way he could respond honestly in words without giving her more worry.
Back to top Go down
Caoimhe

Caoimhe

PostSubject: Re: Setting plans into motion   Setting plans into motion - Page 1 I_icon32Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:54 pm

Ariadne did not consider herself to be a weepy sort of woman. At the moment though she almost wished she were because despite what the Captain might say, she could feel that he was nervous to go on this mission. There would be danger and he would be put at the most risk. Then it made sense he had come here to see her before he left. He wanted to say goodbye.

He wasn't expecting her to hug him, she knew as much but it took him longer than she thought to reciprocate the gesture. Ari didn't look up to see what his face might reveal, she could feel how tense his body was. He didn't know how to respond to her and perhaps that was for the best. She'd put him in a precarious situation. Perhaps despite her good intentions she was sending him off with more to think about than he needed.

She was going to move away when his hand came up to hold her head to his body. Ariadne let the silence continue. Talking right now would do no one any good. How long they stood there like that she could not say but it felt like a long time and yet it didn't. Finally breaking the silence she said the only thing she could, because if they stood there any longer she might just cry after all, "I have to go." Her head lifted from his chest where his heart had been pounding in her ear.

Stepping away from him, she kept her face from showing any emotional turmoil she might be feeling. Why was she so upset anyway? A part of her might have begun to admit to things another part of her could not yet acknowledge. Before she walked away, "See you soon." She tried to smile for him one more time just in case it was the last thing he saw from her.

On her walk home she did her best to bury thoughts and feelings deep down so that she could handle her family. Her daughter would be there. The thought of her child brightened her mood considerably.
Back to top Go down
Eloaene

Eloaene

PostSubject: Re: Setting plans into motion   Setting plans into motion - Page 1 I_icon32Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:50 pm

It was nice...having Ari close to him. Even if, after a few long moments had passed, he did begin feeling a little awkward given the nature of and the untold depth of their relationship.

Ariadne pulling away so that she could leave, left him still speechless though he wanted desperately to be able to comfort her. He could see it in her eyes when she looked up at him, that she was genuinely concerned. But, no. Toshiro didn't get that chance to conjure the words. Ariadne had said her farewell and even a hopeful, 'See you soon', yet, Toshiro was unable to move to stop her. Wanting to chase after her with reassuring tones, 'There's nothing to worry about', 'It was silly of me to bring it up', 'You should forget I even said anything', 'It'll all be over soon.', none of those evasive things passed through his lips.

Watching her head home, Toshiro growled in a moment of displeasure that was long enough to begin focusing his frustration into renewed focus on the main task at hand. The Captain couldn't wait any longer. He turned off in a different direction, heading toward the courtyard where dragons awaited.

[I was considering fading this thread out here and starting another with Courisse's reply tomorrow to the post with Eolyn and then a post for them arriving at STH taking off on runners or some such. What do you think Kate?]
Back to top Go down
Caoimhe

Caoimhe

PostSubject: Re: Setting plans into motion   Setting plans into motion - Page 1 I_icon32Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:11 am

((Sounds good to me. ))
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Setting plans into motion   Setting plans into motion - Page 1 I_icon32

Back to top Go down

Setting plans into motion
Page 1 of 1