Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

... now they must watch their abundance of luxuries fall away, making room for the tools of survival, and witness this time of relative peace wither into the same fears that harper's ballads had warned them about for generations.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Jr. Journeyman Healer Lyria

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
TessC

TessC

Jr. Journeyman Healer Lyria Empty
PostSubject: Jr. Journeyman Healer Lyria   Jr. Journeyman Healer Lyria I_icon32Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:47 pm

OOC Info:
Moniker: Tess
How did you find out about us?: Invited

Character Info:
Name:Lyria

Pronunciation:LYRE-ee-ah

Title:Jr. Journeyman Healer

Age & Turn of Birth:  18, b. Turn 482

Place of Birth:Fort Hold

Current Place of Residence:Telgar River Hold

Craft:Healing

Rank/Occupation/Role Desired: Apprentice Healer

Character Aspirations:Lyria wants to specialize in obstetrics and midwifery. She is determined to decrease the maternal and infant mortality rate through better prenatal care and attended childbirth.

OOC Character Development Goals: ((None at this early point.))

Family:
Father: Unknown
Mother: Deceased
Siblings: None
Children: Zacour- foster son

Appearance:
Face: Astrid Berges-Frisbey
Jr. Journeyman Healer Lyria Lyriabio_zpse6623de8
Hair:Dark brown, thick, natural waves in it though some days it will appear more straight than others depending on how humid it is.
Eyes: A velvety hazel brown.
Height: 5' 4"
Build:Slender, maiden body with very small curves.
Style of Dress:Likes to wear pretty things when she can afford them. Her work clothes are generally not so pretty, being bland in color and generally not eye catching.
Possessions usually found on persona:

A very slender silver chain around her neck, a gift from the first mother she delivered.A small pouch at her waist with rudimentary first-aid supplies and herbals.

History:
Lyria was born at the Healer Hall because her mother was brought to them. Her mother was discovered lying in a heap on one of the streets in Fort Hold, unconscious. It was apparent from her clothing that the woman was probably Holdless. Sadly she was in such a bad way when she arrived that they did the only thing they could do in the situation-- they got her unborn baby out alive.

Lyria was raised at the Healer Hall in Fort Hold, fostered by Healer , and Riaura, his handfasted wife who worked as part of the nursing staff.  They had been childless, with Riaura’s last pregnancy ending in a traumatic miscarriage.  The perilous, tragic event dissuaded them from trying again, so Lyria was considered far more a gift in their lives than an obligatory burden or an act of charity.  

As she grew, it became clear to her parents that they had a very bright little girl on their hands.  Both Lystan and Riaura insisted Lyria be educated to the highest standard, regardless of her gender.  

As she began to show interest and inclination in the Healing arts, both parents encouraged that interest and involved her in every way they were allowed.   She went from treating ailing dolls to treating ailing creatures, and when she was ten, she was granted permission to enter Apprenticeship-- though it would be quite some time after that before she was allowed to treat ailing people!

Being female, and being perceived (perhaps correctly) as having been given preferential admission, Lyria found she had to consistently perform at near perfection to be judged merely good enough.   Her parents worried as she grew thin and wan and stressed during her training, but gentle, tender little Lyria proved that she was built around a center of a hot-forged iron will.

Perhaps because of that gentle but tenacious nature, and perhaps too because of the prejudice against her gender, Lyria gravitated towards the unique needs of women.  There was less resistance from the all-male Master Healers towards a woman Healer who specialized in treating other women.  

Truth be told, the Lords and lordlings, and even the equally hidebound craft-holders and cotsmen, were far more comfortable with the idea that their wives and daughters would receive such intimate treatment from another woman, rather than some strange man-- no matter how high ranked in Healer Hall.

In this new specialty, with less unfair competition and less outright obstructionism, Lyria blossomed.  She feels she has found her true calling, and she truly enjoys her craft.  Her patients feel the veracity of her compassion and concern, and women have recently begun asking for her specifically.

Shortly after her eighteenth birthday, Lyria walked the tables from Apprentice to Junior Journeyman.  No one had likely ever been prouder of those new knots on their shoulders, and it’s equally likely there were no two prouder parents in attendance.

When Telgar River Hold was expecting a new Lady the Healer Hall sent her, on indefinite assignment. Why? The overt reason is her specialty in women’s medicine, childbearing, and young child development. The more unspoken reason may have been to remove a rather unconventional Journeyman from their midst.  Women as still viewed more as nursing staff and potential patients, than as potential full-ranked members of the Hall.

Regardless of the reasons, Lyria’s assignment makes sense for all concerned. After all, young Lady Holders were expected to get promptly pregnant and produce a healthy heir, a spare and a lot of male and female under-siblings to barter into advantageous marriages.  Lyria’s presence and skill will help assure that plan unfolds without a hitch.

It is unquestioned by all that unadvantageous pairings produce unwelcome offspring, like the child of  Lady Courisse and Heir Apparent Zahir of Igen. Lyria was asked to foster the tiny boy, whom she's named Zacour. Someday, she knows his father's Hold may reclaim and legitimize the boy, but Lyria doesn't let herself think about that often. She already loves the child as fiercely and completely as if Zacour were her own.

Personality:
Innocent- despite having an in-depth knowledge of human sexuality, Lyria has kept the innocence of the virginal. Because she's seen the end point of sex, both joyful and tragic, she's not in a hurry to put herself in the place of the women she cares for.
Chatterbox- She likes to talk, and the more nervous she gets, the faster the words spill out.
Usually easy going- Lyria isn't easily rattled or angered, at least, not visibly, not while she's on duty.
Kind- She's genuinely compassionate and gentle as her first, instinctive response to everyone she encounters.
Optimist- Life's not always sunshine and fellis blooms, but Lyria sees no reason it can't almost always be that way.

Shortcomings:
Bossy with those in her care, and sometimes with those she simply cares about. She knows what's best for them, so she's going to nag and wheedle and coax until they do what they should.
Romantic to a fault. There are no white knights on Pern, but still somehow she secretly longs to be that maiden swept away by dashing Mr. Perfection.

Skills/Likes:
✣ Needlework. Lyria likes to do crochet, especially delicate dress trimmings with fine silky thread.
✣She loves to dance, though she's not terribly good at it.

Dislikes/Unskillful at:
✣As much as she loves babies and little children, Lyria dislikes mouthy pre-teen and teenage brats.
✣Her singing would make a wher's ears bleed. Lyria hums all her lullabies!

Fighting Style/Weapon of Choice: Unless she's holding a scalpel? Forget it.

Crafter Information:
Craft:

Turns in Craft:8

Location of Journeymanship:Telgar River Hold

Specialization: Midwifery (Modern equivalents: obstetrics/gynecology/neonatal care)

Last edited by TessC on Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Caoimhe

Caoimhe

PostSubject: Re: Jr. Journeyman Healer Lyria   Jr. Journeyman Healer Lyria I_icon32Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:17 pm

Welcome again Tess. I'm going to go ahead and critique her a bit here so we can get her approved and in play soon.

First we need her title to match her thread title. You've got Apprentice in the thread title and her title in the bio is Jr. Journeyman.

I would like to see more history. What happens to her while she is being raised in the Healer Hall. It must have been difficult to be a woman in a male dominated field. She would have had to fight against a lot of people saying she couldn't do it etc etc...

Also she may have had a foster parent or someone she had a close relationship growing up with? Thats up to you but its probably a good idea to have someone in her childhood that supported her in some way emotionally.

Maybe put in there what age she apprenticed and why. And when she walked the tables to Jr. Journeyman.

ok. I'm gonna leave it here for now. I'll add more if I think of anything
Back to top Go down
TessC

TessC

PostSubject: Re: Jr. Journeyman Healer Lyria   Jr. Journeyman Healer Lyria I_icon32Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:15 pm

Thank you for the welcome, and for looking over her sheet!

I've made the requested changes, and I look forward to seeing what you think of it now.

Let me know if there's anything else that needs adjustment and I'll get on it asap!
Back to top Go down
Caoimhe

Caoimhe

PostSubject: Re: Jr. Journeyman Healer Lyria   Jr. Journeyman Healer Lyria I_icon32Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:31 am

Looks good.

Just need to add on current events-
*Friendship with Ariadne
*Misunderstanding concerning Toshiro
*She saved Toshiro's life twice with Ariadne's help.
*And just now we had the Lady Eolyn miscarry in the fifth month of her pregnancy due to some sort of infection in her uterus which is now causing the Lady to be ill.

These don't have to be in depth. Just mentioning that these events happened should be enough. You can even bullet them or link them to the corresponding threads (which I can help you find if you want...)

I need to update some of my characters bios myself so I'm going to go ahead and approve her for now and you can edit those recent history points whenever you have a chance.
Back to top Go down
TessC

TessC

PostSubject: Re: Jr. Journeyman Healer Lyria   Jr. Journeyman Healer Lyria I_icon32Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:46 am

Thanks so much! Yeah, if you can send me the links for those threads, I'd appreciate it. I'll link them to this listing, but I'd also like to read through them myself too, just to help get my feet on the ground and oriented with the character before I dive in with playing her.

I appreciate you doing this, while RL's so busy for everyone!

Caoimhe wrote:
Looks good.

Just need to add on current events-
*Friendship with Ariadne
*Misunderstanding concerning Toshiro
*She saved Toshiro's life twice with Ariadne's help.
*And just now we had the Lady Eolyn miscarry in the fifth month of her pregnancy due to some sort of infection in her uterus which is now causing the Lady to be ill.

These don't have to be in depth. Just mentioning that these events happened should be enough. You can even bullet them or link them to the corresponding threads (which I can help you find if you want...)

I need to update some of my characters bios myself so I'm going to go ahead and approve her for now and you can edit those recent history points whenever you have a chance.  
Back to top Go down
Eloaene

Eloaene

PostSubject: Re: Jr. Journeyman Healer Lyria   Jr. Journeyman Healer Lyria I_icon32Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:33 pm

Thrill of the hunt

Taking his own measures

Toshiro's just accident prone... >.> he did NOTHING to deserve any of this.. Annnyway, these are threads where Lyria helped save him. Sorry I forgot to send you that part earlier Mad

I think you've already read the ones with the "Loss of an Heir" -ongoing one where Eolyn loses her baby. And the double date thread, you already read. Smile

Kate, i'm not sure if there are other Friendship threads just between Ari and Lyria you may be referring to.
Back to top Go down
https://rainoffire.rpg-board.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jr. Journeyman Healer Lyria   Jr. Journeyman Healer Lyria I_icon32

Back to top Go down

Jr. Journeyman Healer Lyria
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Rain of Fire Essentials :: Characters in Play :: Approved Characters :: Telgar Holdings-
Jump to: